Saturday 16 January 2010

The Mekkits!
The Inland Sea
Grizzly Bear Records
Rating: 1/5

For the first time since the Codeine Velvet Club record (and possibly to an even greater degree) I was actually embarrassed about the prospect of people hearing what I was listening to. The Wurzels is a name that springs to mind. I’m not an expert in sea shanties or whatever sub-genre of folk this band falls into, but I did live in Cornwall for a few years. With this (dubious) qualification under my belt I can say with some authority that I am mystified by this band, and even more mystified by their fans.

I can only concl
ude that the fanbase for this band must be composed of indie hipsters who are looking for the furthest logical extension of the term ‘alternative’. I’ve certainly not heard anything like this EP all year, but for me that’s a good thing. These are clearly competent musicians, and there must be a market for this somewhere or I wouldn’t be holding this EP in my hand, but that doesn’t change the fact that I don’t like it. If you’re looking for a band that take the balladry of The Coral, add to it folk aspirations and an aesthetic of stereotypical coastal backwardness, then look no further.

No comments:

Post a Comment