Saturday 16 January 2010

From the Vault....



The Aliens
Live at Barfly, Camden
2006
Rating: 5/5

The first gig I ever went to was The Beta Band at Shepherd's Bush Empire on their farewell tour, so having already seen Steve Mason's King Biscuit Time earlier in the year at Cargo (highlight: a crooner cover of 'Anarchy in the UK'), it seemed right to pay the other post-split musical project its due. Being underage and poor, a dumped refrigerator across the road neatly hid a bottle of vodka, and the evening was on track to be a good one.

What follows is rather a blur, but what I do remember was this: blissful psychedelic pop, an energetic audience and a band just finding their feet as a live entity. Gordon Anderson's vocals did not cut as well as when I saw them (years later) at Academy 3, but he was still ironing out the creases, so that's ok.

Highlights of the set were 'Setting Sun', 'Only Waiting', which descended into a huge jam session, and 'Robot Man', which had the whole crowd dancing. I, for my part, being underage decided play it inconspicuous and was robotting drunkenly on stage with the band. Whether or not they appreciated it, it's still the only stage invasion I've ever been a part of, and it seems fitting that it was in such a euphoric setting. I can honestly say that this was a gig I will remember for the rest of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment