Monday 22 February 2010


Dean Mcphee/ Chapters
Water Burial/ The Whiteness of the Whale
Split 7"
World in Winter Recordings
Rating: 4/5

Now this is a real treat. If I had a radio show, this would be the hidden gem that I'd throw on just so people could stare at their speakers dumbly. The first track, 'Water Burial', by the exceptional Dean Mcphee, is a drone-heavy, lilting guitar piece that winds its way from the stereo around the room as it plays, filling all the space available. Simply put, it's fucking beautiful, and I urge you to go and check it out.

The 'AA' is just as interesting- the intro almost reminds me of some of the incidental music from the film Sunshine, but it soon develops into a cool drone/shoegazing piece that's almost too pretty for words. Frank Zappa once said something like 'writing about music is like dancing about architecture'. Usually I don't agree, but sometimes I am a little lost, and with this wonderful release I am. Why are you still reading this? GO AND GET A COPY. End of transmission.

No comments:

Post a Comment